Seeking Electrical Repairs

4 Signs It's Time To Contact An Electrician

Regardless of the age of a home, electrical problems can occur. If the problem isn't addressed quickly, it could result in serious damages and injuries, possibly even death. Unfortunately, you may have signs of a problem with the electrical wiring in your home and not even know it. Knowing the sign of an electrical problem allows you to seek electrical repair service from a place like Morris Electric Contracting & Service, Inc. before the problem escalates into something more serious. Here are four signs that there may be a problem with your electrical wiring.

Circuits Overloading

When a circuit becomes overloaded the circuit breakers are designed to shut off the supply of electricity, which prevents the electrical wiring from overheating. Circuit breakers can also trip if they are old and worn out. If the circuit breakers continue to trip, it generally means an appliance is requiring more electricity than the circuit can safely provide. If the appliance is plugged into a different outlet, but the previous circuit continues to trip, contact a professional for electrical repair.

Lights That Flicker and/or Buzz

In most cases, a flickering light is simply a sign of a loose or defective light bulb. However, if you replace the bulb and the problem continues, you should contact an electrical repair service, because the problem may be in the light fixture itself. A connection to the light fixture or the electrical wiring in the circuit box may be loose. If you turn on a lamp, and it buzzes, it may be an indication of a bad wire.

Feeling a Tingle or Shock

Feeling a tingle or a slight shock when you touch an appliance it may be caused by improper electrical wiring or a ground fault. However, if you notice the shock after walking on carpeting, it may be from static, which is common, especially in the winter, this type of shock isn't a cause for concern. However, if this isn't the case and you are shocked every time you touch the appliance, it's best to contact an electrician as soon as possible.

Sparks and/or Burning Odor

It's not unusual for a spark to occasionally happen when plugging in an appliance, but if you see sparks frequently or the sparks are large, it may be an indication of a problem with the circuit. If there is a popping sound, it may be caused by a loose wire. If you notice a burning odor coming from the switches, wires or outlets or if the receptacle or electrical cords are warm to the touch, it is typically a sign of faulty wiring. This is an extremely serious issue and may be the indication of the start of an electrical fire. It's best to turn the power off at the circuit box and contact an electrician immediately.

Electricity is extremely dangerous and diagnosing as well as repairing the problem can be tricky, so it is essential that you not try to repair electrical problems yourself. An electrician is knowledgeable about the various dangers of electricity and they will know how to prevent these dangers. Electricians also have the information and tools necessary for proper electrical repairs, which is essential for the safety of your family.